As much as you try to keep him clean and cuddle-ready, your dog will literally jump in the muddy puddle right outside the house or roll in the mud. He also loves digging in the backyard. But don’t mind him. When our four-legged friends get all excited, they like to get all messy. When your dog is covered with dirt and smells really bad after a neighborhood stroll, a warm bath with the best dog shampoo will do the trick.
The good thing about choosing a dog shampoo over the regular shampoos/soaps/shower gels is that a dog shampoo is specially designed to cater for your dog’s needs. For example, there are dog shampoos that contain antibacterial and antifungal ingredients to keep your dog’s coat free from infections and skin scaling. Some shampoos are also formulated with oils and other special ingredients for optimal skin and coat care. And unlike regular soaps, dog shampoos do the work.
In this article, we review the Top 10 Best Dog Shampoos, taking into account properties like Antifungal, Antibacterial, Antisebarrhoeic, and Moisturizing.
How Often Should You Bathe Your Dog?
A number of factors can determine how often you should give your dog a bath. For example, if your dog likes to play outside in the dirt, you should give him a full bath at least one or two times a month. If he gets smelly in between full baths, you can simply use a Dry Dog Shampoo to remove dirt and oil build-up.
A Dry or Waterless Dog Shampoo will remove dirt and grime from your dog’s coat and leave it with a pleasant scent. It’s quick, easy, and very convenient to use.
On the other hand, if your dog is the indoorsy type, then a regular bath isn’t necessary. You can give it a full shampoo bath at least once a month.
How often you bathe your dog will also depend on its type of breed. For example, double-coated dog breeds don’t usually require regular baths as their oily skin may dry out from excessive shampooing. Restrict the baths to every three months.
If your dog has a bacterial or fungal infection that is causing him pain, itchiness, and hair loss, or skin scaling, then it’s important that you give him a full bath on a regular basis using an Anti-Fungal Shampoo until the condition eases.
How to Choose the Best Dog Shampoo
When buying a dog shampoo, it’s important to ensure that your choice is the right match for your dog’s needs. You should also exercise great caution because some shampoos are made with very harsh ingredients that may harm your dog’s skin. When accidentally ingested, they can cause some undesirable side effects.
When buying a dog shampoo, ensure that:
- It’s free of parabens, sodium laureth sulfate, strong perfumes, artificial coloring, Isopropyl alcohol, and other allergens
- It’s made with natural ingredients if possible
- It contains natural moisturizers to replenish and keep your dog’s skin smooth, soft, and supple
- It has a pleasant smell which will leave your dog smelling clean and fresh after a bath
Top 10 Best Dog Shampoos 2018
- Lavender and Chamomile
- Cleans, conditions, detangles and moisturizes
- Natural plant derived
- Wahl Shampoo is PEG-80 Free
Because it’s a plant-based dog shampoo, Wahl Dog/Pet Shampoo is an excellent option if you want to avoid harsh chemicals. It is PEG-80 free and contains FDA-approved colors. The dog shampoo is a Four-In-One Dog shampoo that is specially formulated with chamomile and lavender to clean, deep condition, detangle, and moisturize your dog.
The formula forms a thick lather and rinses clean, making bath time super easy for you and your furry friend while leaving its coat incredibly clean, silky, and smooth. If your dog has a sensitive or dry skin, this calming formula will eliminate any skin irritation or discomfort.
During bath, saturate your dog’s coat with warm water and then apply a small amount of Wahl Dog Shampoo to your pet’s coat. Massage it thoroughly from head to tail until it forms a foamy lather. You can brush the coat while bathing him. Rinse of the coat and dry with a towel.
Why We Recommend Wahl Dog/Pet Shampoo: It does not contain harsh chemicals and will condition, moisturize, and even untangle your dog’s fur.
- THE MOST EFFECTIVE NATURAL PET SHAMPOO FOR YOUR LOYAL COMPANION: Our Pet Wash Shampoo is a premium coat and skin treatment that comes directly to you and your pet without sacrificing vegan and organic principles or quality. Our delicate balance of essential oils forms the foundation of a veterinarian recommended coat care regimen.
- QUALITY SHAMPOO FOR YOUR DOG WITHOUT COMPROMISE: Your dog is a loving member of your family, does he or she not deserve the best when it comes to caring for their coat and skin. At Paws & Pals, we have developed a cleansing shampoo that not only respects the environment as well as nature but ensures that in doing so your pet has the best possible skin care and coat treatment available.
- NOURISHING FORMULA: Our shampoo includes oatmeal, which will help moisturize and soothe itchy skin. It may also help relieve symptoms of allergies, hot spots, dry skin, and will also clean, deodorize, and soften your pet's coat. Our pet wash cleaner also contains all natural ingredients such as aloe & ingredients which occur organically such as pro-vitamin B5. They assist in hydrating, healing and protecting your pet's coat and skin.
- TEAR-FREE SOAPLESS FORMULA TURNS BATHTIME INTO PLAYTIME: Our tear-free formula is the result of natural oils, vitamins, and extracts that do not irritate or inflame your dog's eyes or nose, ensuring that bath time is a fun and playful experience for you both. (we cannot guarantee a splash, free experience.)
- MADE IN THE USA - Please note that sensitivities vary for each pet. Please monitor your dog for any adverse reactions caused by allergic or unexpected occurrences.
If you’re looking for a multipurpose dog shampoo that will work great for your dog and all of your pets, the Paws & Pals Natural Dog Shampoo and Conditioner is the perfect choice.
The shampoo is a 100 percent All Natural and Organic Pet wash and shampoo that is specially formulated for your dog’s dry, sensitive skin and coat. Unlike many shampoos in the market, the formula contains natural oils like coconut and jojoba oils plus aloe that will deep cleanse, moisturize, and relieve painful and itchy skin caused by mites, fleas, dander, and dryness.
The shampoo also contains Shea Butter, Natural Rosemary extract, and Oatmeal to smooth and deeply moisturize your dog’s coat, leaving your its fur and coat clean, smooth, and smelling nice and fresh.
As a natural dog cleansing formula that is soap-free, your dog won’t experience pain and irritation in the eyes or nose. It’s also certified paraben-free and Cruelty-free, making it completely safe to use.
Why We Recommend it: It’s an all-natural cleansing formula that works great for all dog skin types
- Packaging may vary. Furminator deShedding Ultra Premium Shampoo
- Works to reduce shedding
- Promotes healthy skin and coat
- Enriched with Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids, Calendula Extract, and Papaya Leaf Extract
- Use monthly as part of the Furminator at-home professional grooming regiment
Furminator deShedding Ultra-Premium Dog Shampoo combines Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids and Calendula, Papaya Leaf extract to give your dog’s coat a full cleansing, reduce shedding from loose hair, and promote a healthy skin and coat. To give your dog’s coat an even healthier and silky smooth coat, the formula also includes natural ingredients such as sunflower and safflower seed oils, aloe vera, kara Vitamin E, wheat and oat proteins, among others.
If you’re worried about the safety of your pet while using this shampoo, you’ll be happy to know that it does not contain parabens or chemical dyes that may cause nasty side-effects. The formula is perfectly safe to use on pets over 6 weeks old.
When bathing your dog, apply and lather the shampoo from head to tail and leave for about 10 minutes before rinsing off. For best results, follow with FURminator deShedding Ultra Premium Conditioner.
- Formulated with an odor neutralizer & deodorizer for tough pet coat odors
- Natural cocoa surfactant shampoo cleans & conditions
- Maintains essential pet skin oils
- Soap free - safe with spot-on flea & tick products
- No dyes or parabens
When it comes to dog shampoos, you want one that can cleanse your dog’s coat and skin while moisturizing it, deodorize, and at the same time have the ability to neutralize and eliminate bad odors. Well, Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Dog Shampoo does it all.
The natural cocoa surfactant shampoo will clean and deep condition your dog’s coat. If your dog is always experiencing irritation and discomfort during baths due to sensitive skin, the oatmeal in this shampoo will sooth it and keep it well hydrated.
Is your dog expelling a really nasty stench even after giving him a bath? Well, the good thing about Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Shampoo is that it’s specially formulated with a powerful odor neutralizer and deodorizer that will eliminate even the toughest coat odors.
Even better, the shampoo does not strip the skin off natural skin oils. Instead, it maintains these oils to keep your pet’s skin well moisturized and less scaly. In addition to providing exceptional cleaning, the shampoo will also leave your dog’s fur feeling soft, smelling nice, and even reduce static electricity.
Because this shampoo is soap-free, you can safely use it with spot-on flea and tick products.
Why We Recommend it: It will give your dog’s skin and coat a thorough cleaning while eliminating the toughest odors. It will also keep its skin smooth, soft, and supple.
- [MADE IN USA] VET RECOMMENDED: Our Oatmeal Dog Shampoo And Conditioner is recommended by Vets (take a look at our vet reviews) specially formulated for pets with allergies to food, grass and flea bites. Can be used for DOGS, CATS, FERRETS & RABBITS. PH balanced for sensitive skin. Cherry Almond smell NO ALCOHOL, NO SULPHATES, NO ADDED COLORS, NO HARSH CHEMICALS, NO FRAGRANCE. MADE FROM ALL NATURAL INGREDIENTS. "100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE" "itchy dog shampoo, dog shampoo oatmeal
- NATURAL, ORGANIC INGREDIENTS THAT ARE MADE FOR DRY, SENSITIVE, ITCHY SKIN: The organic aloe vera and almonds oil is therapeutic and soothing for your pets skin and coat. Keeps your pet smelling fresh.
- ALOE ENRICHED, SOAP-LESS AND DETERGENT FREE SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER THAT MAKES BATH TIME A PLEASURE: Our special formulation has mixtures of organic aloe extracts, almond oil and vitamins A, D & E that wont irritate your dog's eyes, nose or skin while bathing. Makes for a soft, easy to brush, coat that will make your pet feel clean and smell clean several days after bathing Tough on dirt, not your pet. Helps to deoderize stinky pets.
- OUR COMMITMENT TO EARTH & MOTHER NATURE: We strive to create a small print on our environment which is why our products are 100% biodegradable and made with recycled materials. Our dog shampoo is non-toxic and non-alcoholic with no animal by products. Paraben and Cruelty free.
- OUR PLEDGE TO YOUR PET: We are a company of animal lovers and only want the best for your little pals We made this formula with care in mind for your pets and our own pets. After blending moisturizers, aloe vera and essential oils, we came up with a perfect blend that you would be proud to use on your best friend. Don't just take our word for it, try it and see the results for yourself. "soapless shampoo"dog shampoo for dandruff"
Dog generally have a sensitive skin. In addition, they are prone to both fungal and yeast infections. To ensure that your furry friend doesn’t howl in pain while giving him a bath, you can use a dog shampoo that is specially formulated for sensitive skin and allergies. Pro Pet Works Natural Oatmeal Dog Shampoo for Dogs and Cats is one such product.
The Oatmeal pet wash dog shampoo and conditioner is specially formulated for pets with food, grass, and flea bites allergies as well as those with dry, sensitive, and itch skin. The shampoo is also enriched with mixtures of almond oil, organic aloe extract, and vitamins A, D, & E that will promote a healthy skin and coat. The combination will also make bath time a huge pleasure for your dog and even make the coat soft and very easy to brush (it also untangles fur).
If you loathe that wet dog smell, the pleasant smelling dog shampoo will give your dog a lovely, lingering scent.
To prevent skin irritation and discomfort during bath, the shampoo is Paraben, soap, cruelty, detergent, and sulphate-free.
Why We Recommend It: It’s made with natural organic ingredients and is specially formulated for dry, sensitive, and itchy skin.
- SOOTHES AND SOFTENS - Burt's Bees Oatmeal Shampoo cleans, soothes, softens, and conditions your dog's dry skin and coat
- MADE WITH THE HIGHEST QUALITY INGREDIENTS - This gentle formula includes ingredients like colloidal oatmeal, honey, and beeswax for sensitive skin
- DIRECTIONS - Apply to dog's wet coat. Work from head to tail and rinse, carefully avoiding eyes. As is typical with natural formulas, this shampoo will only have a light lather
- SUITABLE FOR ALL DOGS AND PUPPIES - This mild tearless shampoo is pH balanced especially for all dogs and puppies
- 100% SAFE - Veterinarian recommended formula, free of fragrances, sulfates, colorants, and harsh chemicals
Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs is another incredible shampoo that is formulated with wholesome ingredients like colloidal oatmeal to naturally cleanse your dog’s skin. Burt’s Bees’s purpose to produce an organic dog shampoo was to prevent and eliminate the common skin problems often faced by our canine friends.
The oatmeal in the shampoo will cleanse, sooth, soften, and deeply condition your dog’s skin. Because a dog’s skin is often sensitive, this pet wash formulation is pH balanced. To promote a healthy skin and coat, the shampoo is enriched with green tea extract. The shine-boosting Honey will keep the coat looking all smooth and lustrous.
The shampoo is perfectly safe to use as it does not contain any harsh chemicals, sulphates, and is free of fragrances.
Simply massage a small amount of the shampoo and work lather throughout the body whole avoiding the eyes. Rinse off and dry with a towel.
Why We Recommend It: Suitable for dogs with sensitive skin and is formulated with natural ingredients for a healthy skin and coat.
- COLLOIDAL OATMEAL SHAMPOO for dogs & puppies with sensitive skin. Designed to be hypoallergenic & extremely soothing for your dog's flaky, dry skin using natural ingredients, such as jojoba. Our clinical strength shampoo protects & combats skin irritation on your dog's fur.
- ENHANCED WITH LAVENDER essential oil, our formula is extra calming. Lavender has a homeopathic comforting effect making him easier to bathe and control his dog odor.
- VET RECOMMENDED clinical formula using pure high quality ingredients for an extra strength cleanse and odor remover. Our ingredients restore essential oils while combating skin irritants. This shampoo is a must for tear free pet care.
- SAFE AND EFFECTIVE pet care with all Natural Lavender Oatmeal Pet Shampoo for dogs is extremely gentle and effective. It is more effective for dog's sensitive skin than other options on the market.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - Manufactured in a state-of-the-art facility in the USA which exceeds all GMP standards. Natural, hypoallergenic and the best solution in pet care available. 100% money-back guaranteed!
Store-bought application creams for dogs and puppies with sensitive skin can be expensive. What’s worse is that some of them are made with harsh chemicals that may cause undesirable side-effects. If your dog has a sensitive skin or has a condition that is making the skin dry, sensitive, and scaly, you might want to consider using Colloidal Oatmeal Dog Shampoo with Pure Lavender Essential Oils.
The shampoo is formulated to be hypoallergenic and soothing to your dog’s sensitive and scaly skin. It’s enhanced with Lavender essential oil which provides an extra calming effect, thanks to its aromatherapy benefits. The lavender after-bath scent will leave him with a sweet, lingering scent.
All the ingredients used to make Colloidal Oatmeal dog shampoo are all natural- no harsh chemicals, parabens, or sulfates. Additionally, the shampoo will eliminate that smelly dog odor that you loathe.
Why We Recommend It: Carefully formulated to keep your dog’s skin and coat pain-free, itch-free, and healthy. It also provides an incredibly calming effect.
- Gently cleans coat
- Protein infused to strengthen & repair coats
- Moisturizes with Vitamin E and aloe
- Scent lasts up to 2 weeks
While bathing your dog with regular soap will help remove dirt and some odor, you’ll still have to put up with a little odor emanating from the coat. Why is that? The problem with using regular soap is that it doesn’t have those special odor-killing ingredients. With Fresh ‘n Clean Scented Shampoo however, your dog will keep smelling fresh and clean for weeks.
The dog shampoo is formulated with naturally-derived gentle cleansing agents and conditioners that will deep cleanse the coat and remove even the toughest odor. To achieve a long-lasting scent instantly, simply wipe your dog’s coat with a wet towel.
The shampoo also contains some antistatic agents that will leave the coat manageable. It’s also formulated with wheat protein to protect and strengthen your dog’s coat. If your dog has a sensitive skin or is experiencing skin irritation due to constant itching, the soothing aloe vera extract will give it a nice calming effect.
If your dog has a flea infestation, you can use the shampoo safely after flea applications.
Why We Recommend It: It doesn’t just cleanse your dog’s coat and skin- it also gives it a long-lasting pleasant scent. It also works great as a fur detangler.
- Totally natural pet care, 100-percent bio-degradable and cruelty free
- Soap-free shampoo
- Safe, gentle and effective
- Avoid contact with eyes. Product is solely intended for use on coat and skin. Flush thoroughly with clean water if eye contact occurs. Keep out of reach of children. If swallowed (by humans), consult a physician
Does your dog have a dry, sensitive, and itchy skin? Well, avoid using regular soap as it will only exacerbate the problem. Earth Bath All Natural Pet Shampoo is specially formulated with Oatmeal and Aloe to provide itch relief to pets with dry, itchy skin. The Aloe Vera in the shampoo effectively combats skin irritation, promotes fast skin healing, and re-moisturizes an overly sensitive, dry skin.
The shampoo is made with natural ingredients, is soap-free, and pH balanced to deep cleanse and deodorized your dog’s skin and coat thoroughly, leaving it clean and smelling great. Combined with Vanilla and Almond oils, your pet’s coat and skin will feel smooth and smell as good as he looks.
If you’re using a topical flea application, you don’t have to worry about possible interactions. The shampoo is cruelty-free and 100% bio-degradable, making it one of the safest dog shampoos in the market.
Why We Recommend It: It’s designed for dry, sensitive, and itchy skin and smells great. It’s made with natural ingredients, making it completely safe to use.
- SILKY COAT: This mild and gentle shampoo will help create a soft and silky feel to your dog's coat. It can be used on any breed or coat type and features oatmeal and jojoba to help soothe dry skin.
- FRESH SMELLING: The Silky Oatmeal shampoo features our signature jasmine and vanilla fragrance. It's sulfate and paraben free with built-in odor neutralizers keep the coat smelling fresher longer.
- CLEAN PUPS: A clean, shiny & fresh coat is a good indicator of a healthy, well-loved pup & a necessity for extended cuddle time. Our shampoos, conditioners & brush sprays are perfectly balanced & help remove odor.
- HELPING YOUR DOG SHINE: We understand the power of wellness to help dogs shine from the inside out. We offer nutritionally superior food, treats, & supplements alongside premium grooming products.
- INNER WELLNESS & OUTER BEAUTY: We promote health & beauty through nutrition and wellness because we care as much as you do about what you put in, & on, your dog's body.
Isle of Dogs Silky Oatmeal Shampoo isn’t your regular shampoo. Besides sporting a beautifully designed bottle, the silky Oatmeal shampoo works your dog’s coat, removing dirt and grime. It also contains natural odor neutralizers that will eliminate the nasty odor from your pet’s coat.
The shampoo is mild and gentle, creating a soft and silky feel to the coat. You can actually use it on puppies and adult dogs and basically any dog breed.
To keep your dog smelling clean and fresh for days, the shampoo contains sweet jasmine and vanilla fragrance.
If your dog has a dry or sensitive skin, this oatmeal and jojoba oil-formulated dog shampoo will help soothe the skin and even calm itchiness.
Why We Recommend It: It helps remove dirt and quickly neutralizes nasty odors from your pet’s coat. It also has a sweet fragrance that will give it a clean scent for days.
Wrapping It Up
There are hundreds of dog shampoos out there but the problem is- it’s very hard to find the right product that can keep your dog’s coat and skin in good condition. Because you want the very best for your four-legged friend, we have reviewed only the best. These shampoos are all natural and will effectively address your dog’s coat and skin problem.
So go ahead and take your pick. Your furry friend needs a nice warm bath with the best dog shampoo!