At lot of pet owners often ask “Do I need to use a dog conditioner?”
Well, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t use a conditioner on your dog. In fact, using a conditioner alongside a dog shampoo is a surefire way to give your dog’s fur a shiny glow, and to untangle their hair for easier brushing.
Basically, using best dog conditioner will:
- Make the fur smooth and soft
- Rehydrate your dog’s skin
- Remove tangles, mats, and knots for easier brushing
- Give your dog’s coat a lustrous, healthy look
- Make the fur thicker , giving the coat a plumper appearance
- Make hair less susceptible to shedding due to its moisturizing effect
- Leave your dog’s coat smelling clean and fresh as some conditioners have a pleasant scent
Best Dog Conditioner (Our Top 5 Recommendations)
Below is our comprehensive review of the 5 best dog conditioners in the market right now. At the end of the review, you’ll also learn how to make your own homemade dog shampoo.
1. FURminator deShedding Premium Dog Conditioner
The FURminator deShedding conditioner is a natural dog hair conditioner uses natural ingredients to keep your dog’s hair healthy and looking great and is our choice for best dog conditioner.
It a blend of Omega 3 AND 6 fatty acids, chamomile extract, and aloe vera that condition the coat, loosens dead undercoat, and reduces excessive shedding. The Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids promote a healthy skin, and also combats various skin disorders. It’s particularly essential for dogs with allergies of other inflammatory skin problems due to its powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
The conditioner also makes your dog’s hair more lustrous and thick, not to mention making it softer and tangle-free.
The manufacturer recommends using the conditioner on dogs up to 6 weeks of age. The conditioner is made in USA and is completely safe on your dog- it does not contain any chemicals, dyes, or parabens.
How to Use FURminator deShedding Premium Dog Conditioner
- After shampooing and cleansing the dog’s coat, gently massage the conditioning solution and let it lather.
- Massage thoroughly to ensure the conditioner touches every strand of hair
- Let the conditioner sit for a few minutes
- Rinse off with lots of water
2. Burt’s Bees Natural Shampoo and Conditioner
Burt’s Bees Shampoo and Conditioner cleanses, conditions, moisturizes, softens, and soothes your dog’s sensitive, and dry itchy skin.
As a natural dog hair conditioner, this conditioner is completely safe for your dog’s skin and your hands. It does not contain any chemicals, parabens, dyes, or soap. It’s 100% organic. The shampoo/conditioner contains natural ingredient like colloidal oatmeal, green tea extract, beewax, honey, Vitamin E, Shea Butter Omega 3, and others.
Omega 3 and Vitamin E will help reduce shedding and strengthen your dog’s hair. As a humectant, honey adds shine and retains moisture in hair while Shea Butter moisturizes and softens your dog’s scalp and hair. As pH balanced product, Burt’s Bees is ideal for dogs with sensitive skin. It’s also tear-less, meaning it won’t irritate your dog’s or puppy’s eyes.
The product won’t wash off any topical flea/tick treatment. It won’t interact with your dog’s collar as well. The product is veterinarian recommended and will keep your dog’s hair looking its best.
How to Use Burt’s Bee Natural Shampoo and Conditioner
- Shake well before use
- Apply the shampoo/conditioner on a wet dog’s coat and massage thoroughly, from head to toe
- Let it sit for around 1 minute before rinsing off
- Rinse thoroughly with water and dry off
3. Pro Pet Works All Natural Oatmeal Dog Shampoo + Conditioner
Pro Pet Works is another highly effective dog shampoo conditioner combo.
A Vet-Recommended, Pro Pet Works uses 100% organic ingredients that soothes your dog’s itchy and sensitive skin while restoring the coat’s shine, softness, and health. The special formulation contains skin nourishing ingredients like vitamins A, D &E, promoting fast healing and hair growth (in the case of hair loss). A blend of Aloe Vera, Almond Oil, and essential oils in this product will condition, moisturize, and restore shine on your dog’s coat.
If your dog is always getting tangles, knots, and mats, Pro Pet Work softens the hair in a way that makes it easy to brush. Plus its pleasant scent will leave your pet smelling all fresh and nice.
The formulation is detergent and soap-free and therefore won’t cause any skin irritation or excessive dryness. Being soap-free also means it won’t irritate your dog’s eyes and nose.
The shampoo/conditioner is also hypoallergenic, which makes it an excellent choice for dogs that are allergic to grass, food, and flea bites.
Overall, Pro Pet Works is a powerful shampoo conditioner combo that will cleanse and deep-condition your dog’s coat. And for a combo, the formula is reasonably priced.
How to Use Pro Pet Works Natural Dog Conditioner
- Apply a liberal amount of Pro Pet Works Dog Shampoo/Conditioner on dog’s wet hair
- Massage the formulation throughout the body and ensure contact with the skin
- Leave for a few minutes- this will help relieve itching and irritation and also soften your dog’s hair
- Rinse off with a lot of water
4. Zesty Paws Dog Conditioner
Zesty Paws is a deep-conditioning formula that uses a special blend of natural ingredients to nourish and improve your dog’s coat appearance.
This gentle formulation conditions and moisturizes your dog’s coat , keeping the skin soft and supple, and the fur tangle, knots, and mat-free. Its active ingredients, Shea Butter, Sweet Almond Extract, Aloe Vera, and Quinoa, are responsible for conditioning, hydrating, and moisturizing your dog’s skin, preventing it from drying out.
Oatmeal does a great job soothing itchy and irritated skin while Aloe Vera keeps the skin well-hydrated. This dog conditioner is ideal for all types of furs. It will soften and detangle even long-haired dog breeds. Zesty Paws also deodorizes your pet’s coat, leaving it smelling clean and fresh.
If your dog has a dry skin with brittle hair, use the conditioner at least once a week. The conditioner is also ideal for dogs with allergies from food, grass, or flea bites.
Overall, Zesty Paws Dog Conditioner is an effective yet affordable dog conditioner that will keep your dog’s coat soft and lustrous.
How to Use Zesty Paws Dog Conditioner
- Apply the conditioner after rinsing out the shampoo
- Leave it for a few minutes before rinsing out
- Rinse out with lots of water
- Dry the hair
5. Warren London – Hydrating Butter and Leave-in Conditioner
Warren London Leave-In Conditioner is made of hydrating butter, guava, mangosteen, and other nourishing ingredients, relieving dry and damaged skin, and providing intense moisture and hydration.
Besides hydrating, moisturizing, and soothing your dog’s coat, this leave-in conditioner also nourishes your skin with vital nutrients. This promotes a healthy skin, speeds up healing, and promotes hair growth.
This non-oily dog conditioner leaves your dog’s coat feeling smooth, softy, silky, and lustrous. Plus its aromatherapeutic scent will leave your pet smelling all fresh and clean.
How to Use Warren London Leave-In Dog Conditioner
- Bath your dog with a premium dog shampoo and rinse off
- Put a liberal amount of the conditioner on your hands and spread it thoroughly on your dog’s wet skin and coat
- You can brush the coat to ensure the conditioner penetrates deep inside the coat
- Since it’s a leave-in conditioner, you don’t need to rinse it off
Homemade Dog Conditioners
If you don’t like any of the choices above and are looking for some different options, here are some homemade dog conditioners that might be more up your alley.
1. Coconut Oil, Oatmeal Diy Dog Conditioner
This homemade dog conditioner will leave your pet’s fur soft, lustrous, and the skin well-moisturized to reduce dryness. It’s particularly great for sensitive skin.
Makes 1 Pint
• 2 tbsp coconut oil
• ¼ cup rolled oats
• 1 cup warm water
• 1 tbsp organic honey
1. Grind the rolled oats into a very fine powder
2. Add warm water, coconut oil, and honey to the oat powder and mix thoroughly until it forms a cream
3. After bathing the dog with a shampoo, massage the homemade conditioner throughout the fur and coat
4. Leave for a few minutes before rinsing it out
2. Rosemary DIY Dog Conditioner
With its soothing and softening effect, rosemary makes an excellent conditioner for dogs with sensitive skin.
• 2 tsp dried rosemary herbs
• 4 cups hot water
• Add the dried rosemary to the hot water and steep for about 10 minutes
• Sieve and allow the conditioning liquid to cool before use
• After bathing and rinsing, rinse the hair with rosemary conditioner
• You don’t have to rinse out again.
Can I Use Human Conditioner on My Dog?
Using your own hair conditioner on your dog may not exactly be a good idea. Usually, conditioners designed for humans may be too harsh and may therefore cause unwanted discomfort or allergic reactions. A dog’s coat is significantly thinner and therefore more sensitive. Also, conditioners designed for human use contain excessive oils, something that may not go well well with your furry friend’s skin.
There are numerous dog conditioners in the market- simply choose one that best suits your dog’s coat. Some brands offer a shampoo conditioner combo so you don’t need to purchase them separately.